Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Zoo Adventure

Today, Daddy surprised us by taking us to the Knoxville Zoo. We had a terrific time! It was the first time in nearly 11 years that Jeremiah, Emily and I had been. None of the other children had been there before and they were thrilled with the large variety of animals they could see. It was almost as good as going to the zoo in NC, almost. :-) Abby still talks about going to that zoo four years ago.
We spent the entire afternoon enjoying the beautiful weather and the animals. The two littlest ones were really great! Samuel usually doesn't like to be confined, but he did really good at riding in the stroller. We let him out every so often to look at animals and they had fun in the kid's area playing and sliding and climbing. The pictures are in no particular order. I didn't put a lot of animal pictures on here, mainly because I didn't take a whole lot of them. I focused in on the children and trying to capture the delight and excitement of the children. That will be what I want to look at and remember 30 years from now (or sooner!).
We had a wonderful day and we are so thankful to Jeremiah for taking us today.

"Daddy, we're close to where you can get a drink."

My monkeys. Not quite all of them. There was only room for five and Emily helped hold Hannah up.
Left to right: Seth, Noah, Samuel, Hannah and Abigail

Samuel loved every minute of the zoo! Here he is trying to see the alpacas.

Samuel was captivated by the camels!
He even fed them. It was so adorable!

The whole day was such an adventure for him.

A beautiful turkey

Watching the meerkat. Sam was waving to him.

Marmosets

A fun little photo.
Camel - Abby, Zebra - Hannah, Elephant - Emily, Gorilla - Noah, Giraffe - Seth

Playing in an old zoo vehicle.

A White Bengal Tiger

Most of our crew. (See below for a picture of me and Emily)

Map Skills! Noah figured out real quick what the symbol for the refreshment stand was and then he was using the pictures of the animals on the map to figure out where we were in relation to the refreshment stand! I think I had more fun watching the children then seeing the animals!

Such a cutie pie!

"Jimmy" the lion, was getting fed. Very neat to watch.

Hannah was telling me how many lions she saw.
(I was so excited that she actually kept her hair done all day!)

Trying to get a glimpse of the little marmosets.


At the giraffe exhibit

My handsome husband.
Thanks for taking us to the zoo today!

Feeding Time at the zoo!

Me and my girlie.

Having fun watching the meerkats.

Check out Daddy's wingspan!

Crazy Driver!

Bald Eagles

There is a play area for the children at this zoo (Love it!) and they had an area where the children could collect eggs. The sign said something to the effect of early TN pioneer children having egg collecting as one of their chores! LOL

Counting their eggs and putting them all in one basket!

This bear was really enjoying his nap. (See him up on the ledge?)
It reminded me of the storybook the children have called, Bear Snores On.


Abigail, our horse lover, with a zebra in the background.
The sign said that zebras are black horses with white stripes.



Enjoying the camels. :-)

I think we've found Hannah a new chore! Oh, wait! Those were wooden eggs! LOL

I couldn't get a good picture of her head. Probably for the best...I don't enjoy looking at this picture!

No comments: