Friday, May 27, 2011

Seeds to Harvest Gardening Challenge {Update}

This is our link-up for the Seeds to Harvest Gardening Challenge
May 27, 2011
We have had hot weather and several good rains this past week and the garden is looking great! We have encountered some bugs on the tomatoes and peppers, but are looking into natural pest control for that. Any suggestions? We built vertical supports for two of the boxes but still need to get the netting for the frame. We also had to critter proof our boxes with chicken wire. It doesn't seem to look as 'pretty' with the wire around the boxes but it keeps the animals out. We have lots of little green tomatoes, cucumbers and melons starting to appear. The herbs are looking great! Time to start figuring out how to preserve and use them. This next week I need to replant beans. So far, I'm loving our boxes. It really does seem more manageable than rows to keep up with.

This is Box 2. It holds four tomato plants and cucumbers in the back. In the front are some cantaloupe and pumpkin and in the middle I had planted some bush beans, but only one came up. They need to be replanted. It won't take long. I don't know why I keep procrastinating on replanting them.

We were having trouble with rabbits and our turkey getting into our garden boxes, so Jeremiah found me some leftover chicken wire in the barn and we wrapped it around the boxes. While it's not as easy as it was to care for the plants as before, it still works. Also, I'm looking for the garden netting that's recommended in the Square Foot Gardening book for my vertical supports (the poles you see in the back). Special thanks to my dad and sister, Rachel for helping me get those put together. You guys are great!

Emily's herb garden is growing nicely. We are pleased to see the garlic coming up and Abby has picked a few strawberries now that we have the fence up to keep the rabbits and turkey out of the box! Now to figure out what to do with all those herbs! ;-)

Problem. I have learned not to plant the tomatoes in front of the cucumbers! Oops. On the left is one of the pickling cucumber plants we planted from seed and as you can see, it's hardly grown now that the tomatoes have gotten so big. An experiment is what we called this and we will learn from this mistake.

I am thrilled to see or pepper plants doing so well. We have some bugs, so I'm researching some natural alternatives to regular bug spray for the garden. Last year I read about a garlic water you could spray on. Must find the directions and get that on the plants.

No comments: