Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Christmas Cookie Plates Project

We began a holiday baking project on Monday called The Christmas Cookie Plates Project. I received this ebook free through a homeschool resource site I subscribe to called Homeschool Freebie of the Day. (Even if you don't homeschool, there are tons of great, free resources that I am sure you could enjoy! I have only had a couple of audios that I didn't like the content after I downloaded them, but I just deleted them from my computer.)

*UPDATE: If you want to bake along with us, you can get a copy of The Christmas Cookie Plates Project for only $3 by going here. It's definitely worth it.

So, The Christmas Cookie Plate Project is a way to bake 10 different types of cookies over the course of 2 weeks (freezing them as you go) and then the third week of December you pull out all your cookies and assemble your plates for giving. Since it's not doable for me to take a single day (or two or three) to just bake, I decided that this was worth a try. It's getting the holiday baking done in a very relaxed way that I can enjoy with the children. My mother was always so good about doing cookie plates for our neighbors when I was a child and I want to do it myself because it is a good way to share Christ with them.

I'm loving this project so far. The benefits are many. I am spending quality time with my children every day and they are picking up valuable kitchen skills and working on cooperation. It's also nice to have a special treat to put in Jeremiah's lunchbox each day.

On Monday we baked Brunekake. I had never heard of this cookie before and I thought we had messed them up, but after looking at the pictures of the author's Brunekake here, I was happy to find that ours turned out just right. We didn't bake any on Tuesday as I was grocery shopping and helping Jeremiah with his car so we are a day behind, but I hope to catch up today! Yesterday we baked Butter Pecan Cookies and mixed up the dough for Ginger Snaps. I can't wait to bake those up today and try them.

Enjoy the pictures and if you live close by, maybe you just might get to taste some of our yummy treats!

We called in the young man of the house to chop the pecans for us.
He's definitely going to be my go-to boy for chopping from now on. He did a great job!

Emily is such an old pro in the kitchen that I let her take the lead and I just oversee the whole process.
I love to see her helping the little ones learn how to do things. She's learning how to be a good mama.

The prized beaters! Don't worry - it was egg-free dough!


Butter Pecan Cookies

Carefully measuring the ingredients.

Hannah was so excited to help! But, we have to watch her little fingers,
they like to sneak into the bowl for a taste!


You can tell who always snag the beaters. Again, an egg-free dough.
It's at this point that I usually lose the majority of my helpers.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea to spred the baking out. I wish we were a neighbor.