{Warning: This post has lots of pictures!}
So, I thought my spontaneous days were over, but I proved myself wrong last month. Since the middle of January, Jeremiah has been traveling to Mississippi for work off and on. On Friday, February 11th, he called to tell me that instead of coming home that night, they had to work that weekend and wouldn't be home until the following weekend. So, being completely sound of mind, I called up my sister (who conveniently was going to be home without her husband that week, also) and we decided to load up the children and drive to our parents' home in NC, the very next morning! Mind you, my house was a wreck, there was not enough clean laundry to pack and it was nearly 8pm. However, we tidied up, did enough laundry to pack a few things and were headed east by 5:40 the next morning. Jeremiah and I left early like that two years ago and it worked out so well for us. Leaving early, we get a lot of miles behind us before the children wake up and then the ride is not so bad for us, I mean the children. We made it to Bristol before we stopped for breakfast.
Waiting on their breakfast. I forgot to order anything for Abby and had to go back.Oops! Sorry, Abigail. Better to forget your breakfast than YOU!
(Y'all try ordering for 7 people and get it right!)
Photo credit: Hannah Jean :-)After breakfast (and some really messy diaper changes) we topped off our gas and headed out again. Rachel brilliantly thought to charge her laptop battery and bring a movie for the children, so we plugged that in and that kept things quiet for a while. Once the battery died, we had just about hit the NC state line, so we stopped at the rest area to let the children run. This was Joanna's and Samuel's very first road trip so we took some pictures. :-)




Back on the road again. We made it there by about 1pm. So, not too bad of a trip, considering we did stop twice. We were all relieved to be there and get hugs from Granny and Grandad. We spent the afternoon relaxing and getting settled in. Grandad took Emily to the Valentine Dinner at church that evening, Mom watched some of the children and Rachel and I took a few to Walmart to get some things. I was going to bake a cake for Seth's birthday the next day, but I was so worn out from the craziness of getting ready Friday night, little sleep and the drive, that I just bought one.


I was so thankful for the opportunity to hear my dad preach twice on Sunday. I really miss hearing him preach. He's always been my favorite preacher and always will be (well, I have two favorites now, him and Jeremiah). Sunday afternoon we celebrated Seth's 10th birthday. I had made hamburgers the week before because that's what he asked for and I threw them in the cooler and brought them with us. We grilled them and they were yummy! Good choice, Seth!


On Monday we hung out at the house. Grandad took Seth and Abigail shopping for some groceries. They both came home with new boots! Rachel sent some money and they bought some outside toys; balls, hula hoops, sidewalk chalk and a bat/ball set. We had lots of fun with those all week. We left them there for the next time and the other set of grandchildren when they visit. ;-)
These were the spectators for the baseball game!Hannah insisted on putting her baby in our stroller like Joanna.
Tuesday, we decided to get out since Mom didn't have to go to tutoring. Rachel wanted to go to the Apple store in Greensboro, so we loaded up and headed out for the day. Ended up going to a few outlet stores and we made a long day of it, but the children were great! That night, we got to go over to Nana D and Papa Payne's house for tacos and to meet their little granddaughter, Hannah. She is such a cutie. Samuel loved chasing their dogs through the house! Reminded me of when we'd visit when Emily and Seth were just little. I'm not sure what day it was that Rachel took the children down to the creek behind mom and dad's house, but she took these pictures of the children having fun in the water. It was so cold! Hannah was napping that day and Sam and I ventured down there but it was a little bit of a hike and we didn't stay long. I didn't want him getting in the water and getting too cold.






Wednesday found us getting ready to leave. We cleaned up and did a little packing while Mom was at her tutoring session. We always hate to leave, but Jeremiah had said that he'd be heading home on Thursday, so I wanted to be there when he got back. We went out for some good barbeque before church and enjoyed hearing Dad preach again. Can't get enough of good preaching! We pulled out Thursday morning at 4am and made it back to Rachel's house at 11:30am. Not bad at all. We are so thankful for our time with Granny and Grandad! So very thankful for God's protection and watchcare over us as we traveled. Didn't have a lick of trouble with our ancient of days van! Praise the Lord! Thank you, Granny and Grandad for our wonderful visit! Hope to see you again very soon!










No comments:
Post a Comment