Thursday, December 4, 2008

Update on Scheduling

Children thrive on routine. This is what I've heard and read for many years now. I have a funny story to tell you proving how true this is. Last week we did a bare bones routine loosely following our schedule but focusing mainly on housework and Thanksgiving preparations. This week we have followed our schedule more closely and we always begin our day with the childrens' morning routines. This involves things such as dressing, making their beds and picking up their rooms before we have breakfast. Last night I went to tuck them in and found the boys laying out their clothes for today. (This is not something I told them they needed to do!) Their clothes were neatly folded, including shoes and hats. They were also busy picking up their room and then I noticed that when they got in bed, they were laying ON TOP of the blanket! Emily proceeded to tell me that this was a common thing for them. They do all their morning routine after I put them to bed so they are ahead of the game in the morning. The funny thing about this is that I used to do the exact same thing with my bed! I had the top bunk for a while (Mom, this was about the time the Paeplows lived with us) and I would keep my bed made and just use an extra blanket on top so I didn't have to hassle with making the top bunk the next morning.
So, all that to say that having our schedule, which some days serves as just a routine for us to follow (like today when Hannah was up at 3:30am and when she finally went back to bed, so did I and we didn't get started right on time) has made a huge difference in the children's attitudes. They love knowing what is expected of them.
Okay, so, when the boys came out to the kitchen this morning they were dressed almost identical. I just had to get a picture. What a joy to see that my children want to be identified with each other. They may have their fussing and fighting amongst themselves, but deep down, I think that them wanting to look alike, makes me believe that they truly do love each other. Of course, then because the boys were matching, the girls decided to match as well.

No comments: