Thursday, October 22, 2009

Abby's First Book!

Teaching my child to read ranks pretty high in this mom's
"Top 10 Wouldn't-Trade-It-For-Anything-Else-In-the-World Moments"

While at the library today, I picked up this book in hopes of getting Abigail interested in reading more on her own. I had told her and Seth that I would be picking out a couple of books for them to read to me so that they could earn their Book-It Certificates for this month. They both read out of their phonics readers during school, but I want to see them trying to read more outside of that. They love to listen to me read, though. So, this evening, Abby picked up her book and started reading. She did so awesome! I was so proud of her. She even started adding inflection to her reading after we talked about the exclamation point and each time she read a line with one, she would say it real well and then she would have to stop and giggle. So cute. Well, Noah was watching us have so much fun and he sat down on the floor and started "reading" a book. Every few minutes he would look at me and say, "That is right Mommy? I'm saying it right?" I can totally see now how the littles in large families could learn to read without much formal "teaching". He was intent on doing exactly what Abigail was doing. Today, we were walking through the grocery store and he said, "we are on number 6." He meant aisle 6 and I thought to myself, "When did I teach him his numbers?" I try to provide lots of educational "fun" for the littles while we do school, but I guess I didn't realize that it really does work. Of course, he wanted a picture taken, also.

My little man is growing up so quickly.
He can write his name! I don't remember teaching him that, either!

No comments: