Thursday, August 12, 2010

Meteor Shower

Seth and Emily made this mobile of 5-pointed stars (each one cut out with just one snip!).
We have talked about how meteors are not really falling stars. :-)

We had a fun time viewing the Perseids Meteor Shower very early this morning. We stayed up late last night, hoping to get a glimpse of them before going to bed, but it was way too cloudy, so we got up around 4 this morning and headed outside. Another great reason why I love homeschooling! We can stay up late/get up early for special things like this. My children have seen, in just a few years, more meteors than I had seen in all my life up to the point when we started watching together. Abby came outside and then promptly went back to bed, but Seth, Emily and I (and Sam, too, for a little bit) laid on a sleeping bag on the back deck and just watched the beautiful sky. There were some clouds, but they moved out of the way long enough for us to have a nice view of about a dozen meteors. There were two big ones, the largest one lasted for several seconds and left a trail that was so neat. That's the most amazing one we had ever seen.

I was getting out the party supplies that someone had given us for Sam's birthday and found that they had also given us these astronaut goody bags. Perfect for holding the Milky Way bars for our snack! We also drank some Tang. It was fun talking about how that drink became associated with the space flights.

Emily has been asking all summer if she could sleep out on the deck one night. I have been hesitant to let her do that alone, but since it was basically morning when I came inside, I let her stay outside. I think it was the perfect compromise for both of us.

Couldn't resist these cute pictures of Noah and Hannah taken last night while we waited for it to get dark.

No comments: