Well, I somewhat naively thought that you just didn't have to do much in the garden if there weren't many weeds and enough rain, you just let the plants grow. Grow they will! They will grow every which way and every where and they will become a tangled mess that you nearly can't harvest your tomatoes from! So, Friday evening, I looked online for some help on how to prune tomato plants. I found this extremely helpful site that I thought I had bookmarked and apparently did not. So sorry that I can't link to it for you because it gave me the confidence that I needed to get out there and do something about my overgrown, unruly tomato plants. Each year we plant something, I learn something new. This year, I am learning more about tomatoes and how to properly prune them and that we only need 1 cherry tomato plant since I'm the only one that eats them in my salad! LOL
Our pitiful looking box of tomato bushes before I started pruning.

Here is the bottom of one of the plants that I pruned. I only got one finished Friday evening and haven't had time to get back out there and deal with the rest of them. As you can see, the tomatoes are growing beautifully and hopefully now that they will be getting more of the sugar from the plant they will ripen up and be delicious to eat!
Meanwhile, the pepper plants are growing more neatly and producing lots of peppers! Hooray! Also, the watermelons are coming along but I don't have much hope for the cantaloupe or pumpkin we planted due to our tomato situation. Oh, and Emily is falling behind on the herbs!
They are growing like weeds! LOL
Update 7/7/11
I found the website where I was helped so much with pruning our tomatoes!
4 comments:
Hello and happy 4th of July! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I am probably too late. The envelopes were made out of card stock. I printed the design on the card stock. I then folded them and glued them to make long pockets. Tape or staples would work as well. Nothing fancy. Hope this helps. Warmly, Mama King
Hello and happy 4th of July! I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I hope I am not too late. I folded the card stock the long way. I scored them to make the folding easier and more precise. You can glue, tape or staple them closed. They are really very simple. I wish you luck!
Interesting! I've never needed to prune tomatoes other than pinching off the suckers as they appear though I do usually like to pinch off any branches that will touch the ground. Perhaps later on you could post more about what you did to them and why.
Love cherry tomatoes! I guess either your family will have the opportunity to widen their horizons or you'll have something nice to share with those who didn't grow any. They aren't so cheap in the store. One year we had some older ladies in church who didnt have a garden and they went gaga over them :)
Neat! I've been dealing with this also! Dad has fixed our problem with tons of stakes and all my crafting twine. :) I've been pulling the leaves off some of the bigger plants.
-Olivia
sheconsiders.com
Post a Comment