Monday, April 20, 2009

Cloth Diapering - Full Time!


After going back and forth, I finally decided that cloth diapering would be the best route for our family even if I wasn't able to get the pocket diapers like I really wanted. After having the 6 diapers from the cloth diaper trial and using them, my only complaint was that I didn't have enough of them to make it through a day. With the cut backs at Jeremiah's job, I knew we needed to go full-time to save money in the long run, but I had to go cheaper than pocket diapers, so I ordered 10 more Chinese Prefolds and 2 more diaper covers. This gives me an "inventory" of 12 Chinese Prefolds, 3 diaper covers, 2 Pocket Diapers with inserts, a fitted diaper (used with a cover) and an All-In-One Diaper. I'm hoping this will enable us to go full-time and only have to use the occasional disposable diaper for Wednesday nights at church until the end of May (and maybe Sunday mornings since we have a nursey again). I am wondering if having a couple of more diaper covers wouldn't be a bad idea and I'm sure the prefolds will last longer if I had more of them to rotate, but at about $2.50 a diaper, if I need to add more in the future, it won't be a huge cost. Also, I probably should have ordered a couple more Snappis for fastening diapers in lieu of pins, but she only needs one Snappi at a time anyway, so we'll make do for now.

So there you have it! Another way we are trying to be more frugal to stretch our pennies as our family grows. Just wish I had wised up a few children ago to this option.

1 comment:

Frannie said...

Hope this goes well for you! I'm sure it will really save you some money.