Friday, June 10, 2011

Preserving Herbs


I know I've already done a gardening post this week, but Emily harvested some herbs after that and I wanted to share what she is doing to preserve the herbs for us to use in cooking. We are still brand new to growing and preserving herbs, so if you see that we're doing something wrong or know of a better, more efficient way to do something or anything thing helpful to share - please share! I believe she harvested parsley and basil this week. I'm so proud of her for her desire to learn new things, the initiative she has taken in caring for and preserving the herbs, and just her desire to be a blessing to our family by using her spare time to be productive.

She doesn't like the fence around the boxes because it makes it hard to reach the plants, but it was the quickest and easiest fix for now to keep the rabbits and chickens out of the garden. Maybe when life slows down a bit, we'll make the cage that sits on top of the box and she can lift it off when she wants to harvest.

The dill is flowering in the front right and I'm not sure if we've missed the chance to harvest it or not. We could not have imagined how well things would grow in this soil when we planted them so we're struggling to keep up!
I've never been very good at growing flowers, but seeing how easy it was to grow these marigolds makes me want a box just for 'pretties'. Jeremiah bought me a butterfly bush and I would love to have a box for a butterfly garden someday.

Pulling off a few leaves at the bottom of the stem so there is room to tie them together.



Carefully tying a few stems together at a time.

Hannah always wants to help. I told Emily that she needed to let her help, teach her, because I don't want the knowledge Emily has to leave home with her! LOL

Tying up the last of the brown bags with her garden fresh herbs inside.

This is our link up for the Seeds to Harvest Gardening Challenge

2 comments:

Hansberry Clan said...

Don't forget the pesto! You use fresh basil for it. Makes for wonderful chicken artichoke & pesto pizza :)

I ended up having a double post this week as well because I was late getting last week done.

Home Where We Belong said...

It looks like she is doing an awesome job with the herbs!