Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Seeds to Harvest Update (June 28, 2011)

A week out of state and another week of family visiting hasn't left me with much time for gardening. I have to say, though, I probably could have found some time, but lately I just don't have any energy for much of anything. So, it's no surprise that while our garden is producing, it is getting rather unruly and unsightly. I did spend a little bit of time Friday evening chopping bell peppers to put in the freezer. Meat is on sale this coming week and that means I can make stuffed peppers for the freezer when the next batch of peppers comes in. Yum! It's one of my favorites. Of the veggies we buy fresh, I have noted that peppers are one thing that I don't find very inexpensively. Mind you, though, I haven't stopped at a farmer's market lately and that could be the place to find them. At any rate, I'm really hoping for a good harvest that will get us through the bulk of the year. I chose to focus on bell peppers this year because they are easy to preserve. That is a big deal this late in the pregnancy.

We are really excited about the watermelons. We've never had this many before and they are getting nice and big. When the dog days of summer get here, we will be enjoying some cold, juicy watermelon. Yum!

A watermelon growing right in the middle of the peppers.

We have a funny guy at our house, who thought the tomatoes made the peppers look like they had eyes.
I think they look like funny frogs! LOL


The tomatoes are growing everywhere!
They are now growing into the box next to where Emily is standing.
I did not have sturdy enough supports.


Don't these bell peppers look so delicious?!
I already have a whole bag of them chopped and in the freezer. Hooray!


Several watermelon growing in the herb box.
They are getting bigger!

This is our link up for the Seeds to Harvest Challenge this week.

No comments: