Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Seeds to Harvest Gardening Challenge (Update June 7, 2011)

We have had 10 straight days of 90+ temps here in TN. The plants have been loving the heat and growing like weeds! We've been careful to keep everything watered, but that isn't such a chore with just our three little boxes. We are having trouble with some bugs in our garden. Tomorrow I'm going to try a garlic spray on them and see how that works. I don't want to use pesticides with chemicals, so we're going to try this and see how it works. It's also pretty cheap, too! After seeing how well things are growing, Jeremiah is 'sold' on the soil mix that we purchased and mixed up for our boxes. It was a big expense, but looks to be like it's worth every bit of it. I have been very busy and keep forgetting to look for some nylon string to tie to my vertical supports for my cucumbers and melons to climb. They are kinda growing everywhere! But, we have lots of little watermelon! Gotta get on that this week.


A cute little watermelon. We have 4 watermelon plants. Maybe we'll have some extra ones to sell this year.

A cucumber hanging on the vine. We have quite a few that will be ready soon!

Tomatoes. We have 4 plants. 2 Cherry Tomato and 2 bigger type tomato. I can't remember the name.

A little bell pepper. We have 12 plants. I'm envisioning a freezer full of these to get us through the winter!

Here is our first cucumber of the season! It was delicious!

And this is what we did with that cucumber! A delicious salad with onions, tomatoes and our cucumber with a homemade olive oil vinaigrette. Yum!

Our tomatoes have taken over our box! LOL I think I need to do more research and find some vine type tomato plants for next year. Behind them, the cucumbers we planted from plants we bought are doing well, but the pickling cucumbers we planted from seeds are not. They are not getting enough sun because of the tomato plants.
In front, on the left, is the pumpkin plant and next to it is a cantaloupe plant. They appear to be doing pretty well.

This is our entry in the Seeds to Harvest Gardening Challenge

3 comments:

Hansberry Clan said...

Looks great! We are only just starting to get some hotter days (80's) here in Oregon so nowhere near harvesting, lol.

Once I had some ants that were going crazy eating the stalk of a nice sunflower I had. I don't like the chemicals either and was rather inspired by Jerry Baker so I mixed up a spray that had mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper in it. Well it worked! Don't know which thing did the trick but the ants never returned.

I've found that planting tomatoes up against a chain link fence works nicely for support. I have a similar problem as you right now in one of my boxes only mine is with a very large chive plant.

I agree on the soil mix. That stuff is quite the pampering compared to the hard packed ground and rocks we have elsewhere.

Jeremiah and Stephenie said...

Hansberry Clan: Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement! We are in the southeast US, so it's been warm here awhile. Actually, unusually warm.

The garlic spray will be ready this evening but I probably won't spray it on until in the morning. I'll probably have to make more! LOL I'm glad to know your natural spray worked.

I don't have a chain link fence, but all I need is the string and I can finish my vertical supports. I ran out of space for vertical growing in the three boxes this year. The watermelons take up so much space! Hopefully, next year there will be more boxes. :-) I'm not going to have many cucumbers this year to pickle and that makes me sad, but as busy as I am this summer, maybe it's for the best. The Lord knows. Thanks for stopping by!

Dana said...

Wow! Everything looks fabulous! It's been so wet here that I don't think we'll have tomatoes or cucumbers until August!

Blessings--
Dana