Wednesday, January 7, 2009

CTC Club - Red Letter Night!

Emily received her sweatshirt tonight for saying 3 entire Psalms. She was so excited. We all were. In addition, Abigail decided tonight was the night to recite Psalm 100 for the whole club. She made her mama proud! Abby used to be so shy and quiet, but tonight, she got up there and quoted her verses loud and strong and only needed one little help when she got off track. She recovered and finished up great! Also, every week at club, Mrs. Jean asks for anyone that can, to quote a verse that she picks out. They only get the reference and the first word. It is always a verse from the first memory work book because that is the book most of the children are working in and tonight it was Revelation 3:20. As soon as she said it, I turned around to look at Em, because that is one I knew (from helping her) and I knew she knew it well. She immediately quoted it and received a 500 point bonus towards her bucks at the end of the year. Go Em!
It has taken me many years to find a way to incorporate scripture memory into our daily lives but I think I have found what is easiest and something that works. Each morning during our Bible Time before school, we read our Keys for Kids devotional and have prayer and we recite scriptures and sing. I read the new passage or verses that we are learning out loud twice. The whole thing. You might think that it's too much, but Abby can almost quote Psalm 23 and we have only been working on it for a few weeks (and that's the only time of day we work on it). Those who know it say it with me and the others say what parts they know. This week Noah's club verse was Psalm 23:1a, he proceeded to quote the entire verse and went on to say most of verse 2 correctly. I am amazed at how much better they retain it when they learn it in sections instead of breaking it up into the individual verses. It seems to flow better for them.



I personally am hiding God's Word on my own during my quiet time each morning. I'm working on a passage in Ephesians because I'm trying to overcome some sin areas in my life. It really works to meditate on it and "let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly..." It can't dwell in me if I read it quickly and go on about my day.



What scripture are you hiding in your heart right now?



I keep a list on the blog of the verses the children are learning each week and usually the one we are working on as a family. I haven't posted a new family verse yet for this month as I'm still seeking the Lord as to which verse or passage it should be. Any suggestions? There's a LOT of verses in the Bible to choose from! :-)

No comments: