It was like an old friend returning to visit today when I discovered the beautiful Northern Cardinal on our feeder in the backyard. We had several of them all last winter, but my feeder had run out until a couple of weeks ago when Jeremiah so sweetly bought some more birdseed and filled it up for me. This morning, I looked up from washing dishes to discover 4 Eastern Bluebirds, a Blue Jay, a Northern Cardinal, 2 Purple Finches (such beautiful birds, not really purple at all), some Golden Finches (I think), a woodpecker, and a few Tufted Titmice. All these birds were in the same tree or on the feeder in that same tree at the very same time! What a sight! Usually I'm perfectly content with my Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera, but today was one that found me wishing for one of those fancy-shmancy ones with great zoom and features to capture what I was looking at. This picture will have to do and you can barely see the female Eastern Bluebird perched on the birdhouse that Emily built with help from Grandad before he moved. They keep coming back, so we are hoping that they will nest here in the spring and raise their family. Eastern Bluebirds have diminished in numbers and are not as common as they once were, so you can imagine my excitement to see 4 in our yard at once! 
No comments:
Post a Comment