Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pepe Le Pew? or Flower?

This afternoon, Abby came running up to me saying that she had seen something black and white in the yard. I guessed it was the woodpecker that frequents our tree out back, but she said, "Noooo." Emily guessed a bird and again, "Nooo." She said, "It was a pole cat!" (aka, skunk!) Well, nobody really believed her and she was in tears crying, "I can prove it to you." All of a sudden, I hear Seth yell, "I saw it, too!" Sure enough, in the grassy area in front of the barn, where there used to be a garden, there was a skunk just digging in the ground minding his own business. Of course, I had to try to get a picture. I snuck up pretty close, but after supper and while we were getting ready for church, Jeremiah looked out to see that he had meandered over into our yard in front of the house! Okay, now he was getting a little too close. Jeremiah went out this time, to get some pictures and the skunk just looks up and then keeps eating. He finally moved on as we were pulling out of the driveway to go to church. As we were coming down our road tonight, we smelled him. Yuck! Would you believe, he was BACK in our yard again tonight!? It appears we have ourselves a little pet skunk. Oh, no! I just hope Nana's cats keep their distance.

Have you ever seen a live skunk that close before? Me neither, until today!

No comments: