Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Extreme Turkey Makeover (and Thanksgiving Preparations)

BEFORE

AFTER

Just kidding!
We are not eating Jeremiah's only surviving turkey for dinner tomorrow!


Today, three of my sisters came over and we prepared as much of our Thanksgiving Dinner as we possibly could do ahead of time.

Emily and I put the turkey in the oven at about 7 this morning and it cooked away while I got the children up and we did morning chores and devotions. Around 10, the girls arrived and we got started on the chocolate pies (Emily's specialty) and some yummy side dishes. We peeled and cut LOTS of potatoes!

Once the turkey was finished, we let it rest and then I carved it up and we completely deboned it. Yay! All the yucky part is done and cleaned up. Rachel and I made some delicious homemade gravy! Oh, my. I always thought that was so difficult, but thanks to my handy, dandy Pampered Chef Recipe Cards, the whole turkey thing was a breeze.

Our first try at homemade turkey gravy.

Rachel and I split the wishbone.
I don't believe in the wishing part, but it was a fun part of Thanksgiving when I was a child.

We took turns cooking and having baby duty. Some enjoyed it more than others.


My sleepy-eyed girl with the adorable curls!

This picture has nothing to do with this post, except that I was sitting outside briefly this afternoon and it struck me that I really like our barn. I just thought it looked so neat with the flag blowing in the wind and the cloudless blue sky. Thank you, Lord, for our home (and barn)!

No comments: