Friday, July 24, 2009

Yummy!

Okay, so I have not posted recipes on here before, but I unearthed a little gem that I just had to share. When I looked through the pantry last week to make my menu and grocery list, I noticed that I had rice and a bag of kidney beans (and smoked sausage was on sale) so I put Red Beans & Rice on the menu. Over the years I have made this before but never found a version that we all really liked (especially me!) so I only made it rarely. I pulled out my Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook and started looking through the recipes. In browsing the cookbook this time, I came across this one...

Red Beans and Rice
Margaret A. Moffitt
Bartlett, TN

1-lb. pkg. dried red beans
water
salt pork, ham hocks, or sausage, cut into small chunks
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3-4 cups water
6-oz. can tomato paste
8-oz. can tomato sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced

1. Soak beans for 8 hours. Drain. Discard soaking water.
2. Mix together all ingredients in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 10-12 hours, or until beans are soft. Serve over rice.

I made a few modifications. I didn't measure the salt and pepper. I didn't have garlic cloves so I just threw in some garlic powder. Also, I didn't have tomato paste or sauce, so my brilliant mom suggested using ketchup. I put about 1 & 3/4 cup in and used the whole 4 cups of water. I cut up some sausage and put it all in the crock-pot before I left for my appointment this morning. How easy can you get? I guess, since I didn't really follow her recipe to the letter, I've kinda concocted my own recipe? Now, the question is...do I make it again doing it the same or try it like it is in the cookbook? Everyone loved it, except Emily (she's always been my pickiest eater). But, in a family this size, majority rules, so we'll be having it again! The note at the bottom of the recipe says they freeze well, so I may make up another batch or two to put in the freezer for after Samuel is born.

Yum! Yum!

No comments: