Friday, March 20, 2009

Our 'First Day of Spring' Fun

This has been a busy week. I had been planning all along to do some special things with the children yesterday and then the Singing School happened this week, too, so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull it off, but I invited my friend Lynn to bring her children and having her participate helped me stay committed to celebrating the first day of spring with the children.

We started off by reading a few verses in the Bible and praying for God's blessing on our time of enjoying His beautiful creation. I was struck by Genesis 8:22. I guess I always thought that God spoke that to Noah, but it says that "God said in His heart..." Maybe he did speak it to Noah in chapter 9, but that really stuck out to me. Almost as if God was promising Himself something.

After our short devotional, the children went off in two teams on a photo scavenger hunt to look for signs of spring. They enjoyed that and it was fun to see the pictures they took. We discovered that there weren't as many signs of spring as we would have liked to have seen!

Then we let them cut spring pictures out of magazines and paste onto cardstock which I then laminated and now they each have their very own spring placemat.

After lunch and some cleanup, we headed out to the deck to plant some marigold seeds in our little ice cream bowl "planters". I was impressed with my improvising on these! Finding ice cream bowls and making them into planters. I'm not real good at improvising, so when I do something like that, it's a big deal! I hope in a few weeks to be able to take pictures of little marigolds poking up from our bowls. We will all be so excited!


When we were not doing our activities, the children were happy to play outside in the sun. It was breezy, but sunny and almost warm. What a beautiful day the Lord gave us.

Lynn ended our time by giving the children some homemade "poppers" she had made and filled with some candy. That was a big hit and she also gave each of them a small spring puzzle, which they promptly put together.

All in all, we had a wonderful and enjoyable time.

No comments: