Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Hatchlings!

Jeremiah was out in the barn this afternoon checking on all his "chicks" and discovered that a few of the eggs had hatched that I had mentioned here. After watching for a little while and trying in vain to get the hen to move so we could see them, I finally gave up and came back in the house. I had no sooner sat down when Jeremiah called me and said that two of the chicks were out and she was teaching them how to peck the feed that Jeremiah had given her. We are sure she has at least three and there are still a couple of eggs that we could see that had not hatched yet. One of the little ones who came out was quite wobbly, so Jeremiah thinks that it is very young. Before they came out to eat, this little one poked his head out
to see what all the commotion was about. It gives greater meaning to the verse in
Psalm 57:1 "...in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge,..."


This little one was doing quite well at walking and pecking the feed.

Also, I took a picture of the first set of chicks he brought home and the little ones he brought home this week, just so you can see how quickly the first set have grown. They are getting big and it's no wonder - they eat around the clock!

You can see one of the newest chicks in the front on the left,
next to the feeder, and how much bigger the older ones are
. You can tell that the bigger ones are getting more feathers and losing much of their down.


Sorry about the fuzzy video and the heavy breathing, I had run from the house to the barn because Jeremiah told me to hurry! Not an easy thing to do at 4 months pregnant!


This video is short, but cute. Watch the little one run back under the hen and on the right side under the hen, you can kinda see another chick.

No comments: