Saturday, June 6, 2009

Snake Sighting

We've been busy today outside. Jeremiah and the children have been getting the chickens and turkeys taken care of and we've been cleaning the van inside and out. I had come inside to get some lunch and Seth came running in saying he had seen "something". It seems he was looking in this tree that is next to the house to see if he could see the bird nest that is in it when he discovered a snake! Yikes! So, Daddy (aka, our snake wrangler) got it out so we could investigate (every thing's school when you home school!) We think from the looks of it that he or she had just had a lunch of a tasty bird egg. We could be wrong, though, as we are not experts. After some online research, I think it is a Juvenile Gray Rat Snake. Fortunately, they are what the website calls "harmless". Whatever. A snake is a snake and I don't like 'em. Harmless or not. I can't believe that I actually got close enough to take some pictures. Meanwhile, we are standing there looking at the snake and Emily exclaims, "There goes a deer!" Right through our neighbor's yard. I had seen a couple of them in his yard this past Sunday morning early, but to see one during the day is not common. Life is never dull here.


If you look just above the water hose, you can see a bulge where maybe he had eaten an egg?



Okay, so back to packing! (Maybe next week I'll have a picture of a bear to share!)

No comments: