Friday, June 19, 2009

Vacation Bible School

Our "Kids Under Construction"

We just finished up our church's VBS for this year. We had a wonderful time sharing the Gospel with many children. I think we averaged about 60 children each night. Our theme was "Under Construction" and so we all wore plastic "hard hats" (well, not all of the adults wore those) and construction aprons. Very fun. One of the men actually had a real tool belt on and the kids thought that was really neat. The lessons we taught on were: Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, Rebuilding the Walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah), The Old Rugged Cross, and the Tower of Babel. At our church, we have 5 different teachers (one for each lesson) and the children rotate through the different lessons instead of the teachers having one age group and teaching 5 different lessons. This really works out well for our church. The teachers just adjust the lessons for the age group they have. The first night, Noah was learning about the Ark of the Covenant and the next day we asked him what was put into the Ark and he promptly said, "animals!" How cute. Jeremiah taught Thursday night and he was in the Walls of Jerusalem class, so that was perfect for him. He was very comfortable with that. I was helping in Noah's Ark and I taught on Monday night and tonight. I taught the 3 & 4's and the 5 & 6's as the other teacher had some deeper things she wanted to bring out for the older children. The account of Noah and the flood and the ark is so easy to teach on and bring out salvation. I really enjoyed it.

The boys won the penny march this year and altogether the children raised over $200. I don't know if they have decided yet which missionary will receive our penny march money.

I was excited to receive a phone call on Tuesday morning from a lady I had spoken with when we were passing out flyers on Monday afternoon. She called to ask for the van to pick up her children and her friend's children. A total of 6 little ones that came because of that one invitation. I have seen many other children whom I did not recognize from our usual core group that attends CtC during the school year. I am praying that many of them will become regulars at our church and come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

No comments: