Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bit by the Sewing Bug

Abigail just would not leave me alone about getting her a sewing book and letting her use the sewing machine (I guess it's hard to resist because my children aren't asking for the lastest character toy or something, they want to learn things), so I ordered this book using the money in our Paypal account from where I had sold a couple of books last week. I found it on ebay for less than full price, but it is in perfect condition. It arrived today and she wanted to get started. Fortunately, I was able to find some felt in my craft supplies and we made the first project - a Needlebook. How perfect for Abigail. I had given her some needles and buttons for her very own and so now she has something to keep them in. She even sewed a button on the front for decoration. I believe she has some skill here. Do you see the stitching on the star? I did not do that. As you can see in the picture, Abigail is the one sitting at the machine and I was just overseeing things. I am so impressed with my little seamstress. She is so excited and the only thing she has wanted to do all evening is sew. I even showed her how to thread the machine and what do you know she can just about do it by herself already. While my sewing machine sews good. I think that I'm ready to start saving my pennies and invest in something a little more up-to-date. It was difficult for her to sew using the knee control on my ancient machine. Plus, with 3 of us sewing, having a spare machine would enable us to work two at a time. (Hint, hint, Jeremiah, I have a birthday in a few months.)

After Abigail was finished with her needlebook, who was practicing sewing straight lines on the sewing machine??? Seth! Emily reminded me that there is a sewing book for boys as well. Currently, though, I am working with Seth through this book and although we have just begun (it's part of his school curriculum this year and probably for many years to come as there is much to cover) he seems to be enjoying it. It can be used as part of a club, somewhat like what I imagine a Boy Scout Club would be, but it's main thrust is Godly Character. It covers topics on service to others, letter writing, learning how to tie knots, how to build a campfire, Bible Reading, and Prayer just to name a few. I'm so thankful for the Lord leading us to homeschool so that we can have time for teaching our children life skills, productive skills, that they can carry throughout their adulthood and that will be ways they can minister to others.

Next up, a pincushion! I will be so glad to have one of these!

No comments: