This is our weekly garden update for the
Teaching Good Things From Seeds to Harvest Challenge.
Hannah loved playing in the freshly tilled dirt!
Teaching Good Things From Seeds to Harvest Challenge.
This week was all about saving the tomato plant! My sister came over on Wednesday and was looking at my garden while I hung the diapers on the clothes line. Well, she informed me that part of my problem with my tomato plant was that I actually had 2 plants planted practically on top of each other. When Jeremiah brought them home, they were in one pot, so I figured it was one plant. Rachel decided to transplant them to another part of the yard and well, what began as a simple transplant, turned into a most-of-the-day task. She was going to use the hoe to make a spot to plant them, but I mentioned we had a tiller, so we got that out and she tilled up a rather roomy spot. Then, she went home and brought us 8 more tomato seedlings and she got all the children helping her plant them. With the chickens free-ranging, we had to come up with a fence to keep them out of the garden (this is where the resourcefulness comes in). I collected scraps of wood from the barn and she hammered them in the ground. Then, we gathered up fencing (from an old dog pen that had been torn down), found some fencing nails and we proceeded to put up a fence. Can I just say that sometimes a girls gotta know a thing or two about carpentry? Yes, my husband would have made a much nicer fence, however, something had to be done (my husband's out of town) so we found a way to do it. (Hopefully, our tomato plants will now thrive and we won't notice the poor fencing once we're harvesting all those delicious tomatoes!) If they do well, maybe he'll help me build a nicer fence for next year.
The squash appear to be doing good, they have flowers on them! We've picked 3 or 4 little red strawberries and I believe Abby ate them. The cucumber, broccoli and cauliflower plants are getting bigger, but I don't see any signs of fruit from them, yet. The bell pepper plants aren't growing as quickly as the other plants, but I'm still hoping that there's a chance they will produce.
6 comments:
Looks great!!!
Kathy
http://TeachingGoodThings.com
From what I can see, your fence looks great! I love garden stuff that is home made. It'll look really pretty when all your plants get bigger too. =)
Missi
www.audacitermatris.com
I have to agree, the fence looks great! I hope your tomato plants like their new home.
Another vote that the fence looks great!
I hope your tomatoes thrive in their new home. To me, they're one of the easiest things to "put up" and I use so many of them all year, that they are a must-have in our garden.
BTW-Congratulations on winning the From seeds to harvest prize!
Could you please send me your address again? I am FINALLY getting your basket in the mail tomorrow. I am so sorry to be slow on this, life's been so crazy here! I am including some goat's milk soap, it will need to cure another 2 weeks, it's not quite hard enough yet.
Kathy
http://TeachingGoodThings.com
Everything looks wonderful! I am so happy to see how everyone is doing things and in such resourceful ways.
Could I also have the ABC Bible study on your site. I know that I and my family would enjoy it.
Blessings,
Robin
Post a Comment