Friday, May 1, 2009

Our Garden - We've expanded!


The first part of the week was very dry here, so we watered each morning and then yesterday we started getting some rain and we're getting even more rain this evening. I would have taken pictures, but it's raining.

I do have a few things to report. First of all, Jeremiah brought home some more seedlings on Monday. He brought 4 watermelon plants (2 of 2 different kinds), 2 cantaloupe plants and also 4 broccoli plants. The children and I planted those on Tuesday.

A sweet friend of mine sent me a packet of spinach seeds (Thank you, Jennifer!) and I will be planting them maybe tomorrow (if the rain lets up) in a container and will keep it on the back deck.

We are concerned about the squash. The leaves started turning yellow this week and I'm not sure what to do. Everything else appears to be doing okay. We even have 2 blooms on the tomato plant! Yay! And of course, the few little strawberries are growing bigger. Abby is so anxious to be able to pick the first one and eat it.

Please help, if you have any advice about our squash plants! I've been researching online.I haven't had a lot of time, but I'll keep looking. Maybe it's time to get serious about some fertilizer. Hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about the squash. Mine are making flowers, but nothing is turning to fruit. I'm thinking the bees are not pollinating them.

Robin said...

It could be the weather is still too cool where you are. I don't know. That was part of our problem along with too much water. Could be the drainage is not good. When the weather warmed up here, I pinched off the yellow leaves when I could see some tiny green one coming on. Just my experience.

Hoping for the best,
Robin

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about the zucchini. I've been learning about upside down gardening, but maybe the zucchini would be too heavy for that.